Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Memorial

Today's example of kinship is one that deserves far more than a blog post written at 11 at night... and it's not something I experienced myself, but is from a story I was told by a friend. Still, I think it is worth including here...

Through my work, I have met some amazing people-- today I spoke with one of them. This woman is one of the most courageous, compassionate people I've ever met.  Her daughter was raped and murdered by two teens nearly 25 years ago and she has been in touch with one of them since a few years after it happened.  She learned about his very troubled childhood and decided she wanted to meet him.  She has been writing back and forth with him for years, and met him in person several times at the prison.  He was released from prison recently and they've spoken on a phone a few times and plan to get together too.  She told me today that he is doing well. He was able to get a job through a person he knows through his church and she said, "I told him that it is a memorial to my daughter to see him out and doing well now."

Talk about kinship in an unexpected place. God bless her.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about values this morning, and I hadn't seen this blog yet, but I was thinking that I wanted to see it, and here it is Sunday and a day that a lot of people go to Church, and that for me going to Church would be going somewhere to get on the internet to read your blog.

    And I get here and find, yes! It's about values and about how to live better and love better and work better together. I like this. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete