Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Flowers

On Tuesdays, I serve as a reading tutor for a very sweet (but with the expected amount of 'tude) young girl who lives in my neighborhood. She is dynamic and smart, but struggles in reading. Usually, we read aloud and I help her pronounce new words or ask her about the story she is reading to make sure she's understanding it all. Tonight, though, we spent the second half of our hour together doing a word search for names of flowers. It was the first activity we've done where it felt like we were doing it together, as a team-- not tutor and student, or 30-something and 10 year-old-- but as partners, on the same level.  Makes me think I should strive for that in other activities we do, somehow. I will ponder ways to do that between now and next Tuesday when I will join her in her learning adventures again.

No comments:

Post a Comment